Gaiters needed? What about spiders?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michi
Verified User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 12 9:39pm 
Post subject: Gaiters needed? What about spiders?

Hi again,
in a few weeks we will start our tour from Parachillna to Hawker. I am very excited! We are now checking our gear and I am wondering if we will need gaiters on the Heysen Trail in September/October? At the moment we tend to leave them at home, because we will not expect too muddy or wet weather. But is it necessary because of scratchy bushes or snakes or so? On some pictures of the trail I have seen people with gaiters - others haven't had them. When it gets hot, they are not so nice to wear.

Another question regarding spiders on the trail. That may sound a little funny to you, but in Germany we are not that used to so much toxic animals :-)
Do you have a tip how to avoid spiders climbing into your rucksacks or other gear at night? Or is this extremely unlikely? We thought about a kind of protection cover for the rucksack, when they are outside at night (our tent is too small for keeping everything in there).

Thank you very much!
Michi
Julian
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 12 9:50pm 
Post subject:

Hi Michi,
Many of us wear gaiters to stop scratches from low plants and trees. I wear them to stop stones being flicked by one boot into the other and mine are quite short, just covering my socks and the top of my boots.
Snakes tend to run away and spiders shouldn't be a problem at all!!
If you wanted you could buy a large garbage bag, big enough to take your rucksack, but that would be more use for protection from rain and dew, rather than creepy crawlies.
michi
Verified User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 12 10:08pm 
Post subject:

Hi Julian,
thank you very much for the quick reply. So maybe we will take some short gaiters with us. At the moment we just have the bigger ones which cover the whole lower leg. To be honest: I thought the same about snakes - they will be away as quick as they can when people are coming.

And with the spiders I am maybe a little bit to overcautious. Cause I have camped before in the Australian bush and never had any problem. Even when sleeping in a swag. But we always had a car with us, where we could leave the gear over night.
Julian
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 12 7:42am 
Post subject:

I find long gaiters very hot and of little use in the Flinders.
Maybe more use in mud.
Just get a big plastic bag that you can fold and seal.
jez
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 12 2:48pm 
Post subject: Re: Gaiters needed? What about spiders?

michi wrote:
in a few weeks we will start our tour from Parachillna to Hawker. I am very excited!

Let us know how your hike goes, sounds great!

You could try spraying your bags thoroughly with surface spray - one which is designed for spiders. But it might make it smelly for you too though... I don't think you'll have much trouble with them.
michi
Verified User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 12 8:53pm 
Post subject:

Hi Julian and Jez,
thank you very much for the advices. I think we will try without gaiters and just be careful when handling our gear. That will do :-)

I will keep you informed about our first hike on the Heysen Trail. I am really looking forward to it!

All the best
Michi
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: