Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RodHassles
Verified User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 12 9:33am 
Post subject:

Have a look at this site also
http://ourhikingblog.com.au/
I have the publication "food to Go" and found helpful, I guess you only need to pick up one small helpfull idea and can make for a more pleasant walk.
Rod
Suze
Verified User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 12 8:55pm 
Post subject: Trekking foods

Hi Bon. Yes re those tiny sachets of jam, honey etc, I think I know where I can pick up some. The resort at Salt has a Mini Supermarket that sells these 'breakfast' sachets, or tubs. I will see if I can buy some in the next week or so.
David M
Verified User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 12 12:16pm 
Post subject: Trekking food

Hi Bonny,
Many thanks for the copy of your book it is a great read!
Do you have any advice on what type of dehydrator is best. I know this is a bit tricky because price comes into it but I am thinking they would be running for many hours so quality would probably be important.

Kind regards
David M
randywadley
Verified User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 12 12:23pm 

Thanks Suze! Didn't think - did I? - about asking my own sister and one of my trekking partners on the HH!

Luvya,
Bon
randywadley
Verified User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 12 12:46pm 

Thanks David - hope you were able to find some handy tips from by book!

The dehydrator I am currently using (at least 3 years old now and has worked tirelessly for countless hours) is an Ezidry Classic. It is my third dehydrator. The previous 2 were Sunbeam ( I THINK) with more sophisticated temperature controls. These elective temperatures are really NOT needed! The Ezidry Classic has only one temp control - stop and go - this has been/will be all that I need. I'm sorry that I can't remember the price though it is certainly in the lower price bracket. By memory (only!) it came with 1 x mesh tray and maybe 1 x silicone/plastic (?) roll up one. I am fortunate that I now have 6 of the latter as they are left-overs from my now defunct former dehydrators. Anyway - one can always use baking paper cut to size - works the same until/unless you can acquire/buy additional roll-up trays.

My vacuum sealer: a Sunbeam Food Saver VAC550 (though my daughter-in-love tells me there is now a newer model). Mine has performed magnificently for in excess of 7 years.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Bonny
randywadley
Verified User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 12 12:53pm 
Post subject:

[quote="RodHassles"]Have a look at this site also
http://ourhikingblog.com.au.

Thanks Rod - I did just that......and what a really wonderful, enthusiastic and helpful team they are! I have still only had time to speed read their book "Food to Go" but have already gleaned one tremendous tip - to remove any packaging from any commercial product! Makes so much sense as in this age of disposable everything, so much is extraneous to the actual product!

Thanks Rod (and Frank)
Bonny
randywadley
Verified User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 12 8:53pm 
Post subject:

[quote="RodHassles"].
" I also use scales before and after to determine the amount of water required to rehydrate (you can get it to the last gram)".

Rod - help! I tried this with 2 cans of Mushrooms in Butter Sauce: the weight of the content only was 756g; dehydrated - 63g. I repeated the whole exercise twice to double check my weights. The taste when reconstituted was exactly what I wanted (though maybe next time I'll choose a salt reduced brand as dehydrating intensifies the saltiness) and the actual reduction in weight to be carried is staggering! However - the difference in weight (raw and dehydrated) of 693g made nonsense of adding that weight in water to reconstitute! Where did I go wrong? I ended up using my old method of barely covering it with the water - it was ready to eat in 45 minutes.

Where am I going wrong?

Cheers,
Bonny
Suze
Verified User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 3, 12 3:50pm 
Post subject: TREKKING FOOD

Hi Bon.. Guess what? I have found the sachets/tubs of the condiments we need for our toast on trail!! Pretty sure we all like vegemite, honey, 2 varieties of jam.. Found them at the Resort Shop at Salt, near Kingscliff... 3 weeks and 2 days to go!!!
Suze...
Suze
Verified User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 3, 12 3:55pm 
Post subject: Trekking Foods - Gas cannisters

Bon, Shirl and Lou, have had no trouble sourcing out our canisters of butane (230grams) at Hawker General Store for the night of 3rd October, and also Wilpena Visitor's Centre/Store have some on order for when we spend our night there on the 7th October.'12. Found Hawker General Store and Wilpena very obliging and great that we can top up our 'fuel' supplies on trail. Suze..
randywadley
Verified User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 12 6:09am 

Once again I've proved that one is never too old to change one's habits ! I have just completed the packaging of our meals (12 main meals for 4 people) for our trek in 2 weeks' time from Quorn to Parachilna. For years I have bagged the contents of ALL components of a night's meal in one bag - but this, of course, meant that the distribution of weight was unfair; e.g. that one person would be lugging the last night's full meal for the entire trek or that the lucky person carrying the first night's meal would 'swan it' after day 1 !

As usual, after separately vacuum sealing and meticulously weighing each component of a night's meal, I marked each carefully with the letter for that day; e.g. 5 small packages marked 'L" (total weight 740g) for Bridle Gap. But at this point I have changed my method. I then separated Bridle Gap's food in to 2 ziplock bags - to be carried by the persons who would 'lose' their load earlier in the trek. Each ziplock bag was then marked with "L Bridle Gap" plus the name of the person to carry it. In short - the carrying of all daily main meals is now shared by 2 people. In planning the persons ('mules'!) to carry the food I worked closely with my twin's (Shirl) meticulous trek notes (looking carefully at availability of water, length and difficulty of the day's walk, facilities at our night's camp, carrying capability of the 'mule' etc) and with the spreadsheet of my menu.

I realise all the above seems to be a bit convoluted but if anyone is interested, please email me randywadley@skymesh.com.au and I'll send over my menu with the distribution of the 'mules' .. ...hopefully all will be revealed!

One massive advantage in splitting the daily meals is that the packages become so SMALL - they will poke in to any nook or cranny in your pack!

I am posting off food drops today to Wilpena (3.2kg including packaging) and to Hawker (5kg which includes a strong box). Of interest: main meal foods (we each carry our own very light supplies for breakfast and lunch) for 4 people for 12 meals came to 14.3kg - all dehydrated of course. That's an individual load for each of approx 3.5kg remembering half of this weight will NOT be carried the entire way as we are utilising food drops. It might even give us the freedom of space and weight to carry a small bladder of wine - particularly as one of us has a birthday en route!

We're on the count down for the Heysen!

Cheers,
Bonny
paul delben
Verified User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 7:37am 
Post subject:

Hmmm... that's one disadvantage of hiking solo! BTW, what is the best wine by the bladder? I'm not real keen on decanting a bottle into plastic but if there's good caskwine out there...
I like a rich red preferably....( was going to use the term "heavy red" but not a good word when you're packing a rucksack:)
Cheers,
Paul.
randywadley
Verified User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 12 3:32pm 

Heh Paul - are you prepared to admit to knowing me when I tell you this: a few years ago I was suckered in (albeit briefly) by an ABC April Fool's joke on-line where they announced the successful release of powdered (dehydrated) wine ? !

We can but dream Paul.

Bonny
paul delben
Verified User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 12 8:25am 
Post subject:

They do everything else "instant" ..I even enjoy instant, organic, Miso soup!
Enjoy your trip and will try to make contact at some stage.
Paul.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: